Tis' the Christmas season! And in the spirit of Christmas we tend to reflect on the things we are grateful for in life. I am grateful for many things in life and my feet happen to be one of them. Feet are amazing! We only get two of them and they have to last us our whole life so we better take good care of them! They allow us to walk, run, balance, jump, Climb Mountains and more. Leonardo Da Vinci said, "The human foot is a masterpiece of engineering and a work of art." So here are a few interesting fun facts about feet that you may not have known before.
- Did you know that there are 26 bones in each foot! That’s 52 bones just in your feet which make up a quarter of all the bones of your body! There are 33 joints and more than 100 muscles, tendons and ligaments in the feet.
- There are over 250,000 sweat glands in your feet! That’s allot of sweat. There are actually competitions in the US to see who has the smelliest feet. Gross!
- The average person takes about 6000-8000 steps per day. For the average lifetime that adds up to over 110,000 miles this is like walking around the globe 4 times!
- Most people have feet of different sizes. One foot is usually larger than the other.
- Feet change size during the day too. Your feet are smallest in the morning and due to swelling will be bigger in the afternoon and evening. Womens feet can actually get longer during or after pregnancy.
- While running your feet experience pressures up to 4 times your body weight!
- Nine out of ten women wear shoes that are too small for them. In fact, women are also 4 times more likely to have foot problems than men!
- Toenails grow an average of 1 mm per month. That means it take about 6 months to grow a new toenail.
- Peripheral neuropathy (nerve damage) is a condition that can develop in feet, commonly with diabetes. This results in some or complete loss of feeling in your toes or feet. Obviously this can lead to big problems!
- The record for the world’s largest feet belongs to Matthew McGrory who wears US size 28 1/2 shoes. The average men’s size is 10 1/2.
75% of all people in the country will experience a foot problem in their lifetime. So don’t wait to have your feet checked. Come see us at Integrative Foot & Ankle Centers of Washington located in Kirkland, Everett, and Renton if you’re dealing with foot or ankle pain. Call (425) 678-3877 or visit our contact page to get in touch. Merry Christmas all!