When the temperatures rise, people tend to pay more attention to ensuring that their skin is protected from the sun’s harsh rays. While this is very important to do, there is one major part of your body you cannot forget to protect--your feet. Many people neglect the health of their feet because they tend to worry about every other part of their body first. However, this can prove to be a big mistake, as many issues begin from the ground up.
If you aren’t careful, you can contract infections or injuries during the most simple of summer activities, such as hiking, walking on the sane in the beach, or wearing dangerous footwear. Despite the risks, people remain naïve about what may happen if they aren’t careful with protecting their feet. Any infections or injuries can be a difficult problem to amend in the future, which is why prevention is the best protection. Luckily, there are a few ways to ensure you and your feet are protected all summer long.
Keep the following tips in mind this summer in order to keep your feet healthy and safe:
- Avoid walking barefoot, no matter how comfortable it may be. If you are barefoot, you increase your chances for sunburn, infection, warts, ringworm, athlete’s foot, and other injuries.
- Be careful when getting a pedicure, as an unsafe pedicure can lead to nail fungus, warts, and infections.
- Wear the right footwear, no matter how tempting a flip flop may seem. Open-toed shoes can leave you susceptible to many injuries, which can be sustained from splinters, bottle caps, glass, coral, etc. You should also wear water shoes anytime you go into open water, such as the ocean or a lake.
- Drinking water can decrease swelling in the feat.
- If injured, don’t wait--get to a medical professional immediately.
At Integrative Foot & Ankle Centers of Washington, we understand just how unpleasant it can be to have a foot injury or infection. Dr. Mikhail Burakovskiy is a leading medical professional who has the experience and education to solve your problem in a matter of time, no matter how challenging it is. Our team will ensure you are taken care of from beginning to end, as we strive to offer you with comprehensive, compassionate, and skilled medical care. We want to help you take control of your own health while we guide you along the way as best as we can.
To speak to a representative, don’t hesitate to contact us