People tend to neglect their feet when it comes to their overall health. Though you may exercise, eat healthy, and attend your regular dental and medical checkups, did you know your feet play a vital role in your overall health and wellbeing? Don’t disregard the importance of the 42 muscles, 26 bones, and 33 joints that support you from sun up until sun down, regardless of the wear and tear they are put through.
Though broken bones and sprained ankles are serious injuries, they are not the most dangerous, nor are they the most common foot-related issues you may face. In fact, there is actually a direct correlation between various diseases and your overall foot health, which can be remedied through taking better care of your vitally important body parts.
The list of health issues which are affected by your podiatric health include, but are not limited to:
- Diabetes – Tingling and burning sensations in your toes may mean your blood sugar is elevated, resulting in damaged nerves.
- Hyperthyroidism/Hypothyroidism– Skin and nail changes, sweaty feet, and dry, cracked, feet can all be signs of either an overactive or underactive thyroid gland.
- Nutritional deficiencies – Numbness and nerve pain may be a sign of a B-12, calcium vitamin D, or magnesium deficiency.
- Neurological disorders – Structural abnormalities, lower back pain, or a slipped disc can all cause pain down the legs, feet, ankles, and toes.
- Renal failure – Swollen feet, skin changes, and nail discoloration may indicate kidney issues.
- Cardiovascular diseases – Lack of hair growth, poor circulation, atrophy, high blood pressure, and swelling of the feet and ankles may be a sign of cardiovascular diseases.
- Cancer – Cracking, bleeding, or ulceration of the feet may be a sign. Also, streaking or black lines on the nail or lesions may indicate skin cancer.
At the Integrative Foot & Ankle Centers of Washington, Dr. Burakovskiy’s priority is making sure you are putting your best foot forward--literally. With our team of intelligent and dedicated professionals, we make sure to ease you of all your worries and help you rule out any other health issues during your podiatric check-up.
For more information on our individualized treatment plans and latest state-of-the-art technology, don’t hesitate to call us today at 425.678.3877.